Hello and an official welcome to Autumn! It’s been a while since I wrote a ‘Spend vs Save’ post, but with so many gorgeous new Autumn homewares arriving into stores, it’s really hard to resist a spot of seasonal shopping, isn’t it? There are plenty of exciting new trends emerging, too. From that cosy, tartan-bedecked highland retreat look to the ultra-luxe geometric forms of an Art Deco setting, there is definitely something for everyone out there.
However, one trend that I think truly defines Autumn and therefore has a much broader appeal, is the Woodland one. Who doesn’t love textile prints inspired by owls and autumn leaves or felt foxes on cushions? The woodland trend is once again huge this year and is as prevalent throughout the higher end labels as it is on the high street, so it really boils down to what you are prepared to spend on key pieces for your home. With this in mind, I’ve done a little window-shopping for you and come across a few home accessories that really rock the trend in different ways; some contemporary, others with a more traditional feel. Read on for my must-haves!
1. I adore appliquéd cushions, as they add such depth of texture to your interior and really up the cosy factor. These woodland animal cushions are at opposite ends of the price scale, however both score top marks in terms of design appeal and the use of interesting, tactile fabrics, such as tweed and felt.
2. Woodland accessories needn’t be confined to living areas. Give your bathroom a touch of monochrome elegance along with a nod to the season with a set of contemporary stylised stag print towels. Perfect for a guest bedroom, too.
3. These little owl shaped glass tealight holders can double up as ornaments during the autumn/winter on a shelf or mantelpiece. The more economical version comes with a scented Yankee tealight, so you can swap the fragrance to suit your mood, perhaps changing to a more spiced scent at Christmas-time. One thing’s for certain, you can’t have too many candles twinkling when the nights draw in!
4. Add an element of quirky fun to your morning cuppa with a gorgeous pheasant print mug. The designer version by Fenella Smith has a lovely, eclectic look to it, but for a simpler take on this theme, try the alternative design from online stockist Country & Home.
5. I don’t see a lot of difference between the quality of these two owl table lamps, but they give a lovely cosy glow for that autumnal ambience and I think would sit well in a living room, hallway or even a bedroom corner. I really like the golden shimmer of the glass finish – very “Anthropologie” looking. The Homebase version is a steal at just over £11! I think I may be purchasing one…
6. Keeping with the owl theme, how amazing are these statement side tables. The ceramic one from Graham & Green doubles up as a small stool, too, so very versatile as well as super stylish and bang on trend with the woodland look. Or how about using the BHS version as a fun bedside table in a child’s bedroom?
7. Finally, I love this ‘Running Hare’ designer duvet set from Harriet Hare at House of Fraser. Not just for the kiddies, this one! It has a lovely, fresh look to it, doesn’t it? For a slightly more grown up version, check out the reasonably priced ‘mini hares’ bedlinen set from Asda Direct, too.
So now that we’re into the Autumn season, are you planning any woodland inspired purchases for your home??